Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tribute to my Dog - XENA.... Gone too soon.


It will become inevitable that at some point soon, I will start talking about my dogs - Simba and Lola. But before I do, I'd like to pay tribute to my first dog and the love of my life, Xena who passed away on the 16th of July, 2008.


I remember the pain I was in when I wrote this slightly more than a year ago.....


"Xena was everything they say a dog is, and then some. She came into our lives in November of 2005 already suffering from a life-threatening lung infection. Her first week with us was spent at a vet, with KP making daily trips on a motorbike taxi to visit her. She fought hard as was her nature to and came back to us the bouncy little cocker that she would continue to be until the end.

Xena lit up every room, every place and every person she came into contact with. She was a little dynamo of boundless energy and abundant love. When in Bangkok, her trainer, our maid and all our friends totally fell in love with her at first meeting – dog lovers or not. After an overnight stay with a friend’s friend when we had to go away, we got a personal, handwritten note from him, saying how lovely Xena was to have around the house and how gentle she was with his children.

She didn’t know how to be unhappy. It wasn’t in her nature. She found joy in the simplest of things. My dirty socks, toilet rolls, a cheap ball KP bought her and her favourite – a kiss on the top of her forehead. She could also spend hours chewing happily on her rawhide bones. She was always ready to play – on the condition that she gave the command, and you fetched!

Xena was part of our family. Family hugs, meant ‘family hugs’. She would poke her head between KP and I when we were cuddling and try to wiggle her way between us. She was a strong force in our marriage, teaching us the true meaning of love and bringing us closer as a couple. We could never fight when Xena was around – she would never stand for it.

To me, she was a confidante, a trusted friend and a loving and devoted child. I shared my deepest feelings and thoughts with her everyday, and she listened patiently and was always there when I needed a cuddle. She celebrated my joys with me and was kind and understanding through my sorrows.

To KP, she was his little girl. Naughty as she was, she always melted his heart. His proudest achievement in life came in the form of toilet training her. The day she dropped the bone she was playing with and skipped to the bathroom to pee for the first time was the happiest day of his life.

They took walks almost daily and it was their special time together. She would be up to no good and kept sniffing her way thru everything but that’s just our Xena.

She never judged, never complained (except when we slept in too late!) and was happy with her lot in life, as long as she has her 2 favourite people in the world by her side, and a pretty collar around her neck. Each time she saw us, she would leap up and celebrate as if it had been years..even if we had just gone into our room for 5 minutes and come out again.

Xena was almost 3 when she took her last breath. In the last week before her death, even as her fragile and weak little body was melting away, her strength and spirit never left. Even walking was an enormous feat for her, but she tried. As sick as she was, she always walked all the way to the toilet to relieve herself (even when she temporarily lost her sight). She was dignified and a good girl even until the end.

On her last day on this earth, as I lifted her in my arms, she turned her head to look at me. I knew what she was telling me, and I told her it was ok. It was ok to let go. I would be fine.



Xena,
Thank you for giving us 2 and a half of the most wonderful years anyone could ever ask for.
Thank you for loving us so fervently and unconditionally.
Thank you for being our little bundle of love and joy.
Thank you for giving us the pleasure of loving you.

Xena girl,
Now that your suffering is over; run, little girl. Run with the wind in your face as your beautiful ears flap behind you. Know that we will always, always love you and we will see you again in heaven, with kisses and cuddles that will have no end.

Goodbye, our little angel. May you rest in peace."


Wednesday, July 16th 2008



















No comments: