Saturday, August 1, 2009

Biggest (Balls) Loser Asia

My sister auditioned for the Biggest Loser Asia this morning. I am in awe of her.

She has always struggled with her weight ever since I could remember. As a little girl, she was chubby and got away with it cos she was georgous. She was the life of the party and my parents' pride and joy. She had this sparkling smile and deep set dimples that made you melt. Quite the performer, I remember the time we dressed her up as a Hawaiian dancer for a fancy dress contest, complete with grass skirt! She hoola'd her way right into the crowd's heart.

As she got older, her heavier side didn't seem quite so adorable anymore. And more than anything else, it ate into her self-esteem and chipped away at her confidence.
I always felt very bad and wished I could do something but I think I only made it worse. I should have stopped my father's taunting and my mother's need to love with food. I should have told I loved her more often and included her in my life more. I guess I had my own struggles. Oh well. Regrets are a waste of time.

Fast forward to the present.

My sister is happily married and is managing a company. She is a good daughter and a great sister. Not to mention a doting wife. Her move to audition for the Biggest Loser Asia must be the strongest act of courage and bravery I have ever witnessed in my life. I know my sister. I know how she battles with shyness and issues with esteem. To have her weight problem thrown into the face of the world takes balls. HUGE balls. I would never have the guts to do what she has done.

My dearest darling sister. It doesn't matter if you make it through the auditions for the Biggest Loser Asia. As far as I'm concerned, you have passed the most important audition of all - the one where you say 'I am taking control of my life because I know I can'.

Love,
Your number 1 fan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes she strong and determined and should be proud of herself but she she is also blessed with a loving sister

Purnisha said...

She is reallly really lucky to have u as her sister & understand what she went through. I am much bigggggger than your sis & let me tell u ONE thing...the HARDEST thing in LIFE is to be FATTTTTT and does affect our DAILY LIFE, PERSONAL LIFE, WORKING LIFE, SOCIAL LIFE, HEALTH..EVERYTHING :)) although we are the one that makes the WHOLE world smile,laugh,etc bt NO ONE will ever understand the PAIN we go through except IF they r like US (PLUS SIZE). I am glad that we have this support team now to help us share our experience,support,encourage each other,etc....IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! :))